GREATER SHELBY COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE 2015 BUSINESS PLAN
(Approved by Chamber’s Board of Directors 12/17/14) – Click here for a printable PDF of The Shelby County Chamber 2015 Business Plan
To assist in building a strong economy by nurturing business, addressing business needs, and developing a business environment that is attractive and stable.
Business Development & Support Group
– Visit a minimum of 75 Shelby County Businesses through Existing Business Team effort.
– Hold quarterly industrial tours of area companies (small business and industry).
– Host the 3rd Annual “Industry Appreciation Reception” event in February.
– Hold 2nd Annual “Industry Block Party” program during Manufacturing Month in October.
– Develop and coordinate a minimum of six informational seminars (Chamber Go & Grow) on topics of interest to small businesses and industry.
– Develop, conduct, and present results of the Annual “Business Climate Survey” to gauge what Shelby County businesses think the climate will look like for the coming year.
– Maintain and grow the monthly mentorship sessions through the Chamber’s Business Support Center.
– Build on Entrepreneur-In-Residence program.
– Host an annual “Small Business Celebration” during the month of June.
– Increase participation in Entrepreneur Roundtable program by an expansion of Entrepreneur Roundtable I and the creation of Entrepreneur Roundtable II.
– Develop, print, and distribute a Small Business Guide publication.
– Distribute a How To Develop A Business Plan publication.
– Increase participation in the “Green Business” recognition program for Shelby County businesses.
– Coordinate ribbon-cutting events for Shelby County businesses.
– Assist with groundbreaking events for area businesses.
– Create and edit twelve issues of Business Connections, the Chamber’s monthly newsletter.
– Produce weekly “E-Business Connections” e-mail updates to membership on programs and activities.
– Promote Chamber members as well as Chamber and Community events through Social Media (Facebook, Linked-In, Twitter, etc.).
– Publish and distribute the Who’s Who of Shelby County Businesses, a quarterly printed Membership Directory in Shelby Living magazine.
– Continue developing and promoting the usefulness of the Chamber website by reflecting the expanded program of work.
– Update Chamber’s website (content and registration with all major search engines).
– Communicate monthly with ShelbyOne shareholders to keep them informed on our progress.
– Produce press advisories and news releases on Chamber programs and events and distribute to local media.
– Increase media contact relationships.
Community & Workforce Development Group
– Hold “Keeping It Real” programs for 9th Grade students throughout Shelby County schools.
– Hold Career Awareness Fair program for 10th-grade students throughout Shelby County schools in April.
– Define and develop a workforce development program for 11th Grade students throughout Shelby County.
– Host the 2nd Annual “Student and Educator of the Year” Luncheon Award program recognizing excellence in the classroom and providing scholarships and stipends for four recipients.
– Lead efforts to secure “Career Ready Community” designation for Shelby County.
– Investigate developing a “career readiness” workbook for students throughout Shelby County.
– Collaborate with Shelby County safety departments on programs that reduce criminal activity relating to businesses (i.e. financial crime, ID theft, theft by employees, fraud by mail and telephone, embezzlement by technology, counterfeit bills, etc.).
– Hold Annual “Public Safety Awards” Luncheon recognizing public safety departments throughout Shelby County.
– Promote the importance of health awareness (healthy lifestyles) to the business community through the “Health Focus of the Month” in Business Connections, the Chamber’s monthly newsletter.
– Host inaugural “Shelby County Healthy Lifestyles Expo” for Shelby County businesses in February.
– Hold inaugural “Healthcare Professionals of the Year” program in September.
– Partner with community leaders to develop and expand healthcare opportunities unique to Shelby County.
– Identify countywide resources and leadership with whom to collaborate on key issues regarding the quality of life issues (education, healthcare, recreation, arts, beautification, retail, green space, etc.) that help make Shelby County an even better place to live and do business.
– Develop and coordinate informational seminars (Chamber Go & Grow) on healthcare topics of interest to small businesses and industry.
– Actively pursue collaborative efforts with all businesses (chambers of commerce, economic development organizations, etc.) and community organizations in Shelby County.
– Plan and implement the Chamber’s Annual “Golf FORE! Education” Tournament in the Fall.
Finance & Administration Group
– Develop an annual budget for Chamber’s operations.
– Manage Chamber’s daily operations.
– Maintain financial records for the Chamber’s General and Community Foundation funds.
– Handle invoicing procedures for all Chamber and Community Foundation programs.
– Plan and coordinate the “34th Annual Meeting” of the membership.
– Coordinate Nominations process for Chamber leadership roles.
– Coordinate Continuing Sponsorship Program.
– Coordinate and manage the partnership with Calera Chamber of Commerce.
– Investigate other possible collaborative partnerships with Shelby County chambers.
– Review Employee Policies & Procedures Handbook.
– Host ShelbyOne shareholder meetings.
– Review Event Analysis forms prior to each event or program.
Governmental Affairs Group
– Host a “Washington Update” program with a member of the federal legislative delegation.
– Host a “Legislative Preview” event with Shelby County Legislative delegation prior to the 2015 Legislative session which begins in March.
– Develop a “Public Policy Agenda” pertaining to issues impacting Shelby County businesses.
– Plan and implement the Chamber’s Annual “Montgomery Drive-In” event.
– Hold Annual “State of the County” Luncheon.
– Host quarterly “Mayors’ Roundtable” meetings for Shelby County mayors.
– Maintain positive working relationships with local state delegation and other community stakeholders.
Membership & Marketing Group
– Recruit 140 new members.
– Plan and host ten “Membership Luncheon Programs”.
– Coordinate ribbon cuttings and ground-breakings for area businesses.
– Coordinate Ambassadors’ program.
– Continue developing and promoting “Hot Deals” – a member-to-member discount program.
– Host quarterly “Membership Receptions” for new and existing Chamber members.
– Host the 7th Annual “Sporting Clay Shoot” event in Fall.
– Update and maintain accurate records in the membership database.
– Coordinate ongoing membership retention program.
– Hold quarterly “Business After Hours” networking programs.
– Hold three “SpeedNetworking” events in partnership with other chambers of commerce.
– Hold six “CoffeeNet” networking programs.
– Hold quarterly Network280 (networking and/ or professional development) programs.
– Explore new/ additional business networking opportunities for Chamber members.
– Investigate additional member-only benefits.
– Investigate tiered membership level program.